Sunday, March 28, 2010

Intimacy of Redemption Take 2- True Freedom

I had an online (Facebook) chat Tuesday night with a good friend I hadn't talked to in many years (15 at least). Steve was the main guy who started the whole GANG of Friends who "lived" at my house for a couple of years in high school. To get an idea of this gang of friends and the environment at the house, listen to the song “Our House” by Madness. It describes it near perfectly. The chat with Steve was great in itself. He probably has no idea how much it impacted me, but just going down memory lane with him was the reminder I needed to love Mom for who she is and to appreciate the love she gives me no matter how she chooses to give it to me. Steve asked me to tell Mom that he’s forever grateful for what she did for us. I have been so busy working through my own “issues” with Mom, I had almost forgotten to love Mom for who she IS. Steve told me to listen to the song, "These are the Days of our Lives" by Queen in the midst of our chat. So after we logged off I listened to the Queen song and sobbed and sobbed. On the other side, I have a new clarity about the times in my life where Satan’s lies led me astray. It was a moment of intimate redemption for me.

I’m not sure if I coined the term “intimate redemption” but I notice I am the only one who uses it or who knows what it means. But I’d be willing to bet that most people have had at least one experience of “intimate redemption” in their lives. I think what I am trying to capture with the term “intimate redemption” is those moments when the perfect balance of God’s perfect Truth and perfect Grace consume me and it feels like a unique balm was mixed especially for me to heal a pain I had swept under a rug. Sometimes the catalyst to a moment of intimate redemption is conversation, a movie or a song. For me, the moment is always flushed with tears until my soul is clear. God created my inmost being. In these moments I praise Him that I am fearfully and wonderfully made by Him. God is so good like that!

No comments: