Wednesday, December 5, 2007

50 First Dates

Recently, I finally got to see that Drew Barrymore/Adam Sandler flick "50 First Dates" for the first time. I had heard it was pretty cute. But I wasn't expecting to end up in tears! Well, you could blame it on the cliche scape goat for women...hormones. However, at least hear me out.

In the movie Adam's character is trying to woo Drew's character, but Drew's character has a special kind of amnesia due to a car accident. Don't be too analytical and just roll with it! So for 3 years her father and brother have been re-creating the same day (the proposed day after...or was it the day before... the accident- not really important) to protect her from the horror of re-discovering her memory loss and the cause of the memory loss every day. That in itself is pretty sweet. Then Adam's character proposes something different. He takes the time every night to make a special video for Drew's character to fill her in. They estimate that it took her about an hour to cry it out every day, but then she could go on living a NEW DAY every day...instead of the same one over and over. Well, the fact that Adam's character loves her enough to do this is pretty amazing. Even though she wakes up every day having no clue who he is, he pursues her heart and makes her fall in love with him EVERY DAY! My first thought was, "What an AMAZING guy! To go to such lengths to pursue her heart in a new way every day!" And then it hit me...

...that is EXACTLY what Jesus does for me (and YOU) EVERY DAY. He's doing it whether we notice it or not. He does it even if we don't want Him to...I can personally attest to that! Well, that made me cry even harder. And the tears were absolutely tears of joy. It was, to say the least, a few moments of pure praise. All brought on by a "date movie" I watched alone on a cloudy day.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Holy cow I love you :)

You're so right, the unlimited love Adam Sandler has in this movie is what takes it above and beyond a goofy romantic comedy. The scene at the end, on the boat... ::sniff:: You're right, it's the ultimate "I love you for who you are and not because you love me" story line and it's a great illustration of Christ's love for us.