Thursday, December 6, 2007

Ugly Love

When I first heard the premise for "Ugly Betty" I was lukewarm about the whole idea. It sounded cute, but it also seemed like it was trying to cash in on the success of "The Devil Wears Prada." And that, for some reason, annoyed me. So I ignored it. That wasn't too hard because for a long time I was always busy on Thursday nights. Well, I'm not sure how, but I started watching it every once in a while last summer (reruns). By the end of the summer I was hooked!

The best thing about it is the writing. I so appreciate good, clever, witty writing! It is hilarious without jokes or predictable timing. At the same time it is tender and heartwarming. It manages to combine wholesome quality relationships along with vicious, stinging, greed driven characters and it plays like a symphony. In any given episode I find myself laughing heartily one minute and all veklempt the next.

And all the hype about the character of Betty, I'm finding, is sincere. Despite the many distractions to tempt her into abandoning her truth for the flashy, "glamorous" life, she perseveres while offering grace to even the most self-serving characters.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I've only seen the show once but have seen tons of clips. And? If I had a nephew like hers (or is he her cousin?) Anyway, I'd invite him to live in our guest room just so he could make my days more fabulous :)