Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Spring Awakening

When I returned from a recent road trip to visit friends in the NYC area (I used to live in that neck of the woods), I composed a "newsletter" to summarize my trip. I think anyone who read it noticed that aside from seeing several great friends (who I hadn't seen in at least 5 years), my favorite part of the trip was going to see "Spring Awakening" on Broadway. I'll admit that the first I'd heard of it was while watching the Tony Awards many months ago. I had already started planning my road trip back then and after the cast performance on the Tony's I KNEW I had to see Spring Awakening while in NYC.

WOW! What a great show! It is not for the easily offended, but other than that I highly recommend it to everyone...even if you hate Broadway Musicals. I don't think my words can do it justice; it is a deeply emotion evoking experience. The plot was written by a German playwright in 1891 and it is brilliantly set to modern music by Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater.

How does this work without being a train wreck or cheesy? The songs are the internal dialogue of the hormonal teen characters. The lyrics are poignant, clearly conveying the complexity of emotions surrounding their sexual desires, questions, doubts, and angst. In about 2 hours this show deftly addresses sensitive issues including lust, self gratification, a first experience of sexual intercourse, sexual abuse, teen suicide, teen pregnancy, the importance of adult friendships/mentors with teens, academic pressures, ...I could go on, I'm sure. All these issues are presented in a humorous, heartwarming, heartbreaking, intimate and even fun way that is completely captivating. Did I mention the amazing emotionally accurate lyrics? They are chock full of both truth and grace. I'm tempted to share some to demonstrate- but I won't.

Finally, the production aspects are at once frugal and fresh. There is no orchestra pit- the band stands center stage at the back of the "set" (there is no set, really... not a typical set). There are about 20 chairs on the edge of stage left and stage right that hold equal parts audience, cast, and understudies. When a cast member is not an active part of the scene, he/she just sits in one of those side seats and may or may not add back-up vocals to whatever song. All adult roles (mother, father, teacher, piano instructor, doctor, etc.) are played by the same man and woman throughout. There are no costume changes. No big traditional dance numbers. It is riveting.

No comments: